Surgical Education - PGY 1
The resident who rotates on "Surgical Education" will acquire proficiency in basic clinical skills and will learn the basics of scientific methodology and research including adjuncts such as statistical analysis
- Complete "Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery" skills on the trainer. Proficiency exam will be given by Dr. Tabuenca.
- Complete and obtain the certificate of "Basic Ultrasound Course" from American College of Surgeon.
- Get an interesting case from mentor and write a presentable / publishable case report by the end of the rotation.
- Watch the "Statistics for Mathematically Challenged" by Alan Davis located on the surgery website.
- Meet with the research advisor
- Select area of interest for research
- Find research project mentor
- Prepare 2 year research project plan
- Participate in ongoing clinical research projects under the supervision of faculty members in the department of surgery
- Meet with Mohammad Chiziair at ext. 65392; Discuss availability of research data.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to review the literature.
- Demonstrate an understanding and proper use of databases for collecting and analyzing data for prospective clinical trials
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concepts necessary to design successful clinical research studies
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze and draw appropriate conclusions from clinical data
- Complete the current University of California Riverside educational curriculum on "Professionalism" and "Surgeon Educators"
- Complete the professionalism curriculum for the current month
Interpersonal Skills and Communication:
- Complete the American College of Surgeons DVD vignettes on "Communicating with Patient about Surgical Errors and Adverse Outcomes". Present certificate of completion to resident office
- Complete the American College of Surgeons DVD vignettes on "Disclosing Surgical Error: vignettes for Discussion". Present certificate of completion to resident office
- Complete the interpersonal and communication skills curriculum for the current quarter
- Responsible for setting up all computer equipment for Tuesday's M&M and Grand Rounds.
- Responsible for setting up all computer equipment for Wednesday's ACS Weekly and Basic Science Lecture Series
- Take and return to the residency coordinator weekly sign-in sheet for Wednesday conference
- Prepare lab for Surgical Skills curriculum on weekly basis
- Take call on the general surgery services as needed.
- Tuesday: M&M and Grand Rounds - 7:00 am
- Wednesday: ACS Weekly & Basic Science lecture – 6:30 am
- Thursday: Skills Lab / Journal Club – 7:00 am
- Friday: FLS testing
Rotation End Assignments:
- Completed PBLI assignment
- Completed Interpersonal & Communication skills assignment
- Timed sheets for all FLS skills signed by Dr. Tabuenca
- Completed interesting case report authorization form and case report ready for submission
- Completed ultrasound for surgeons certificate
- Completed research authorization form ready for signature (due at end of PGY 1 year)